Thursday, July 16, 2009

Windows 7 on an Old Dell Laptop on Desktop

I sucessfully added windows 7 RC1 to a dell inspiron 2200.



I believe the video driver was updated via windows update.

The sound driver I pulled from dell's website.

In the compatibility section, it said vista. Mind you, dell only showed drivers compatible with Windows XP. However, the compatibility section listed Vista and the sound driver installed without a hitch. Windows Vista SE err windows 7, is running great on 1 gig ram.


WooHoo!


The Dell Dimension 4600, however, that was more of a pain. However, I got it work. I had the opposite problem with this computer. The sound driver (intel sound card) auto updated via windows 7 update. The graphics driver was an intel extreme graphics 2 built in video card. Luckily, I was able to use the XP graphics driver from Dell's website again. I had to trick the setup utility by running the setup.exe in compatibility mode with windows xp service pack3. After a reboot, no more 640 x 480 graphics!! Granted, it is not AERO. However, I wanted windows 7 more for security and stabilty then I wanted it for pretty.

No comments: